Another spicy recipe from the blister-in-law. I made this with the cherry plums I picked from Jenny.
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon onion seed, powder or flakes
- 1/2 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 litre malt vinegar
- 1kg plums
- 2 tspn chilli powder
- 900g sugar (you can use a little less)
- 1-2 tspns salt
What you will need
- Large heavy based pot
- Wooden spoon
What to do
- Stone plums.
- Mix all ingredients in pot and simmer until the fruit has turned pulpy and reduced in volume (approx 1 hour)
- Like the tomato relish I would add the sugar a bit later, once the liquid has had a chance to reduce.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 1-2 hours more. Note: I simmered mine for 2 hours and it has set like jam. Simmer for 1 hour to set like a sauce.
- Bottle using same method as tomato relish.
- This made 2 625g jars of sauce.
The photo below shows the difference between Roses’ sauce and my jam, made using the same ingredients. I simmered mine for 2 hours worried that it wouldn’t set. Well – it set. Let me tell you. It tastes delicious – but I won’t be squeezing it out of a bottle any day soon!