The number of times I have been asked for this recipe is in the double digits. It originates from the Edmonds cook book (a New Zealand favourite), and has never failed me. I use all the ripe bananas I have in it. If I put a cup in, it works. If I put in two cups, it still works.
- 1 ¾ cups self raising flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 75g butter, melted
- 1 cup mashed bananas (more or less seems to work)
What you will need
- Medium-sized mixing bowl
- A smaller mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Loaf baking tin
What to do
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C
- Sift flour, baking soda and salt into a bowl
- Mix in sugar
- In another bowl beat eggs. Stir into this milk, butter and mashed bananas
- Mix quickly into dry ingredients until ingredients are just combined (don’t over mix)
- Spoon into greased and lined 23cm loaf tin.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes until the centre bounces back when pushed
- Leave in tin for 10 minutes until turning out onto a cooling rack.