My cousin Freya has left a cumquat tree at her folks place, and it WAS covered in cumquats. But not anymore! That’s what you get coussie bro for not talking all your stuff with you when you leave home!
We went over to my Aunty and Uncle’s place today to shake a few olives out of their tree (I just sat inside having a cup of tea actually while Tom, Jasmine and Uncle Bob did all the work), and noticed a big jar with amber-looking fluid full of fruit, and it was these – brandied cumquats. So a few minutes later, the once fruit laden tree was bare, and I had me a big jar of cumquats!
Now I know I could make some kind of marmalade or jam with these, but stuff that – the brandied ones sound like way more fun! Firstly you can eat the cumquats (sounds delish), but then you can also drink the liqueur! Sounds like the dish that keeps on giving.
The recipe is from the ABC website, and it seems pretty simple. Only problem is I have to wait 6 months before I can sample the produce. It had better be good!
Thanks Freya for your cumquats! I will be sure to let you know if they are nice or not.
- 500g cumquats
- 375g sugar (I use raw)
- 1 bottle of brandy (70oml) – I bought a brandy that was on special, but cost $28 – when it comes to buying brandy, there are different types (some authentically flavoured in oak, some not) If it has a VSOP on the bottle it has been aged for about 5 years in oak.
What you will need
- A big jar
- A tooth pick
What to do
- Prick the cumquats all over with a toothpick. How many pricks? No idea. Tom went for lots of small ones, I went for about 6 big punctures per cumquat. We shall see what works best in about 6 months time
- Place the sugar in the jar
- Add the brandy
- Turn for the next 10 days to dissolve the sugar
- Leave and wait patiently for 6 months
I will keep you posted on the outcome (have set a diary date for the 10th of October to try the cumquats!)
4 Comments Add yours
This sounds too simple!! However have heard that this is the way to go especially if you can get your hands on some duty free brandy.
Will get this done right now, should be ready in time for Australia Day celebrations.
waiting for a finished result! were they good?
Good question. Cumquats are naturally quite tart, and it’s a tad weird sensation I must say to eat both the skin and pips. But once you get past that (and if you are a lover of cumquats) soaking them in sugar and brandy is definitely a winner. They are very soft, and I do have to say that the brandy liqueur is great. I don’t think this is a dessert for kids and definitely not to all tastes, but nice and smooth and warming all the same.